The Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation, in coordination with Fin Feather Fur Outfitters and the Ohio Department of Wildlife, wants to help students and adults experience the outdoors safely during this stressful time. And fishing is one of the best and easiest ways for people to engage in all the fun and benefits of the outdoor while following social distancing protocols. To that end, we are holding a Dispersed Mentored Fishing event during the month of June.
Selected participants will receive a free Zebco rod/reel combo. All participants have to do is promise to take a student fishing for two hours during the month of June and submit some simple documentation.
To participate, an adult just has to apply by May 27 by filling out this form: https://forms.monday.com/forms/8bb7ee846a4e61bc50df02314d2d31c2
The Dispersed Mentored Fishing Event runs from June 1-30, 2020.
Timeline (all dates are 2020)
- Application period closes on Wednesday, May 27
- Award notifications sent via email on Friday, May 29
- Recipients will pick up their award at the Fin location of their choosing May 30 – June 7
- Mentored fishing to take place Monday, June 1, to Wednesday, June 30
- Documentation of mentored fishing needs to be submitted by Wednesday, July 15
- Equipment will be given away on a first–come, first-served basis to participants (limit 2 per household). If there are more applicants than awards, preference will be given to high school age students.
- The adult that filled out the form will need to show a state-issued ID and show the award number in order to pick up the equipment.
- Award will be one of 200 Zebco spincast combos.
- Pick up will available Saturday, May 30, through Sunday, June 7, during Fin Feather Fur Outfitters hours of operation.
- Each award will include a $5.00 store credit that can only be used towards purchasing fishing tackle. Items may not be returned for cash, they may only be exchanged for the same item.
Follow All Fishing and Health Regulations
We have assembled a number of resources that will keep you safe while having a successful day fishing. Resources include access to state fishing regulations, how to get a license (and who needs one), how to get started, places to go and ways to share your experiences.
While fishing, all state and local laws need to be followed. Participants are encouraged to obtain a free fishing regulations handbook at the pickup location or view it online here. All fishing license regulations can be found at this link (fishing license information).
Most of all, follow the CDC recommended social distancing practices when encountering other anglers.
Follow the videos and instructions below on how to get started. These will guide you as you venture out for your fishing adventure
When you have completed your fishing adventure, post pictures to the social media pages of Fin Feather Fur Outfitters and Sportsmen’s Alliance (@sportsmensall on Instagram and Twitter, @sportsmensalliance on Facebook). Please include your stories and any future plans.
- Getting started fishing
- Palomar knot
- How to cast
- Setting the hook
- Reeling in a fish
- How to release a fish
- Catch and release fishing
- Ohio fish species
- Where to Fish