Organization Description: The Sportsmen’s Alliance and its Foundation are national non-profit organizations founded to protect hunting, fishing, trapping and scientific wildlife management in the state legislatures, the courts, Congress and at the ballot box. The Alliance, a 501c4 organization, provides direct and grassroots lobbying at both the state and federal level, as well as ballot issue coalition management. The Foundation, a 501c3 organization, performs research, legal defense, and public education.
Position Summary: The Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation is seeking an Associate Director of State Services to lead the organization’s state policy efforts. This person should have a demonstrated track record of performance in public policy, lobbying, legal strategy, grassroots advocacy and campaign management. The Associate Director of State Services is responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing state legislative and legal strategies/campaigns to advance the mission of the Sportsmen’s Alliance and Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation. A successful candidate should be a forward-looking individual, who is able to lead the organization’s strategic policy objectives. In addition, qualified candidates must also possess a strong work ethics, and dynamic written and verbal communications abilities.
• Collaborates with the Vice President of Government Affairs to build campaigns to advocate in support or opposition of legislation, rules, or regulations at the state level. This will include the development, management and execution of legislative campaigns, ballot issue campaigns, organizing grassroots support and fundraising to support sportsmen and their outdoor pursuits.
• Writes advocacy related content regarding legislation, regulations and other related issues for social medial sites and print publications.
• Manages the Sportsmen’s efforts to monitor, analyze current and emerging state legislation and policy issues thru State Net and Soft Edge software applications.
• Leads the Sportsmen’s Alliance grassroots efforts to advance state level advocacy agendas.
• Assists with fundraising operations in support of issues and project work.
• Develops and manages partnerships with strategic funding partners, volunteer sources, and state wildlife agencies to implement the organization’s policy agenda.
• Assists developing messages promoting the organization to sportsmen and women, the media and government officials.
• Advises the Vice President of Government Affairs on key state issues impacting hunting, fishing, trapping and sportsmen.
• Provides information and serves as a spokesperson regarding the organization’s state services work to donors, members, media, partner organizations and the public.
• Partners with state agencies, conservation organizations, political action committees and outside consultants to accomplish organization’s state service goals.
• Plans, manages, coordinates and executes state legislative reception events.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher in political science, public policy, public administration, fish and wildlife management, natural resources management or similar field.
Experience: 2-4 years of progressively responsible experience. Position requires ability to create and edit written products distributed to the public. A passion for outdoor sports would be a benefit.
Skills and Abilities: Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple constituencies and audiences. Display excellent verbal and writing skills. Knowledge of office systems: MS-Office preferred and fundraising database systems (e.g., Raiser’s Edge). A team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment and to ensuring the highest customer service orientation.
Travel: Requires regular travel (5%-20%) within the United States.
Salary & Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience, and includes a generous benefits package.
Other Requirements: A passion for hunting, fishing and trapping is essential. An entrepreneurial and self-management personality along with a desire to win and help advance a growing organization in an exciting and fast-paced environment is necessary. A willingness to lead by working with the executive team.
Contact Information: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and references to: Bruce Tague, Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation, 801 Kingsmill Pkwy, Columbus, Ohio 43229 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.