The Pennsylvania Game Commission (PGC) has released the latest version of its Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Response Plan and is taking public comments on the proposal. The objective of the plan is to limit the spread of CWD beyond areas where it has already occurred, and to prevent the disease from infecting Pennsylvania elk. The 64-page proposal can be viewed here. A 2-page summary of the proposal is also available here. Among the many changes included in the document the PGC proposes to:
- Prohibit deer feeding statewide
- Prohibit the use of deer attractants (urine) statewide
- Require CWD testing for all harvested elk
- Increasing deer harvest antlerless tag allocations in affected areas
- Potentially extend hunting seasons in affected areas
- Potential removal of antler point restrictions in affected areas
Pennsylvania sportsmen are encouraged to read the proposal and submit comments. The PGC will be taking public comment until May 7. Comments can be sent to: INFOCWD@pa.gov or through the mail, Attn: CWD Comments, 2001 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, PA 17110.
About the Sportsmen’s Alliance: The Sportsmen’s Alliance protects and defends America’s wildlife conservation programs and the pursuits – hunting, fishing and trapping – that generate the money to pay for them. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation is responsible for public education, legal defense and research. Its mission is accomplished through several distinct programs coordinated to provide the most complete defense possible. Stay connected to Sportsmen’s Alliance: Online, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.