Role and Responsibilities
Reporting to the President/CEO, the Vice President of Development will oversee and conduct all fundraising, cultivation, communications and solicitation activities of Sportsmen’s Alliance and its Foundation. He/She will identify and develop relationships with mid-level to major level individual donors, foundations, and corporations, enhancing success in soliciting financial support for Sportsmen’s Alliance’s projects and initiatives. He/She will communicate the organization’s mission in a manner that will both broaden and deepen the relationships with the many people who have and will become personally involved in Sportsmen’s Alliance and its Foundation.
Strategic Donor Relationship Management
- Research, identify, and develop plans to solicit mid-level and major-level individual and foundation donors and prospects with the capacity to make $10,000+ gifts for Sportsmen’s Alliance and its Foundation.
- Design and execute annual plans to cultivate, solicit and steward mid-level and major level giving donors and prospects, being held accountable for donor engagement and revenue goals, and responsibility for maintaining donor records and analysis of donor performance related to such things as retention, growth, upgrades, etc.
- Cultivate and develop a growing portfolio of donors with significant financial giving potential to increase their annual giving.
- Identify and activate new donors through networking, referrals, presentations, and prospecting events, with particular focus in designated high impact local hub areas.
- Develop and execute an ongoing strategy for cultivating qualified individuals from prospects to donor status using tools such as small receptions and events.
- Plan and facilitate an executive engagement strategy, whereby the president and board members call/write to donors, preparing special personalized mailings, writing personalized thank you letters, making donor calls and other development activities.
- Develop and initiate a grant development program, identifying and developing organizational sources of funds for Sportsmen’s Alliance and its Foundation.
- Develop and oversee specifically targeted programs and gatherings for mid-level and major-level gifts, monthly donors, and planned giving, among others as identified.
- In collaboration with VP of Membership, provide support for national events including outreach, fundraising and stewardship events; research prospects, design events and create revenue goals, draft invitations and sponsor letters, solicit donors, staff event committees, staff event, and manage follow up.
- Identify, meet, cultivate and solicit planned giving donors and prospects, as needed with the president, and other staff.
- In collaboration with President/CEO, develop quarterly, annual, and multi-year goals for all development activities specifically related to financial requirements of Sportsmen’s Alliance and its Foundation’s operations, projects and initiatives.
- Work directly with President/CEO to design major donor programs; helping to identify major donor prospects, appropriate asks, systems to track donor engagement, and strategies to build a major donor network to meet revenue projections.
- Educate and inform the President/CEO, board members, and other staff regarding their donor responsibilities, including identifying prospects, arranging visits, setting up staff calls, and developing strategies and target amounts for asks.
- Oversee internal systems and departmental staff to ensure all donor contacts, including memberships, support and activities are properly documented and accounted for ensuring all organization, legal, and ethical requirements and expectations are met.
- In collaboration with Raiser’s Edge Specialist, provide insight in the planning and management system using appropriate metrics to effectively measure development activity, insuring objectives are met and providing a means for continual improvement. Ensure donor contact list and database maintenance is up-to-date.
- In collaboration with VP of Membership, implement and oversee internal systems to monitor and guarantee appropriate follow-up and acknowledgement of donor support, financial and otherwise.
- Work closely with the President/CEO, Board of Directors, Consultants, and others in continually monitoring operations to improve effectiveness of Development programs.
- Track progress toward goals and prepare reports to President/CEO on a regular basis.
- In partnership with VP of Communications and Marketing provide leadership and direction to donor communication and messaging.
- Consult and contribute to the design and development of Sportsmen’s Alliance donor publications, including but not limited to:
- Case for support and supporting materials (i.e. donor offer packets, brochures, and etc.),
- Appeals and receipt letters
- Special information or solicitation materials as required
- Social Networking resources such as Facebook and Twitter
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree and/or professional certifications are highly desirable.
- Minimum 10 years of direct fundraising experience with at least 5 years of major gifts experience as well as progressive leadership responsibility. Significant expertise with the area’s funding community highly desirable. Leadership experience in successful development programs and knowledge of “best practices” in development is necessary.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple constituencies and audiences. Excellent verbal and written skills. Knowledge of office systems: MS-Office preferred and fundraising database systems (e.g., Raiser’s Edge). A team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment and to ensuring the highest customer service orientation.
- Requires frequent travel within the United States.
- A passion for hunting, fishing and trapping is essential. An entrepreneurial and self-management personality along with a desire to win and help advance a growing organization in an exciting and fast-paced environment is necessary. A willingness to lead by working with the executive management team to guide the organizations key policy initiatives is required.
To view the full opportunity profile, please visit: https://nonprofit-executive-search.com/job-opening/sportsmen-alliance-foundation-vp-of-development. All initial applications will be received online.
About the Sportsmen’s Alliance: The Sportsmen’s Alliance protects and defends America’s wildlife conservation programs and the pursuits – hunting, fishing and trapping – that generate the money to pay for them. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation is responsible for public education, legal defense and research. Its mission is accomplished through several distinct programs coordinated to provide the most complete defense possible. Stay connected to Sportsmen’s Alliance: Online, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.